Gingivitis is an inflammation of the gums, usually caused by a bacterial infection. If left untreated, it can become a more serious infection known as periodontitis. Gingivitis and periodontitis are major causes of tooth loss in adults.
Symptoms of Gingivitis and Periodontitis:
- Gums that are red, tender or swollen
- Gums that bleed when you brush or floss your teeth
- Gums that have pulled away from the teeth
- loose teeth
- a change in your teeth when you bite
- pus between teeth and gums
- pain when chewing
- sensitive teeth
- partial dentures that no longer fit
- foul-smelling breath that does not go away after you brush your teeth
Periodontal disease can be treated to slow down and soothe the present symptoms. Your dentist can determine whether periodontal disease is present or not. Preventative treatments are ideal, and it’s important to see your dentist at the first sign of the above symptoms.
Professional Dental Cleaning is required to remove tartar/calculus which can’t be removed by brushing. Call us today to book an appointment with our friendly team today.